Hello! I’m MaRi.
I am a Canadian award-winning, Vancouver-based emerging tech influencer and future trends consultant with more than 15 years of experience innovating strategy planning, digital futures leadership and organizational development.
Clients value my expertise to prepare their current and next generation leaders for the future.
I provide strategic consulting on new models of leadership and cultural development to prepare leaders and organizations to tap into emerging markets, leveraging technology to raise physical and mental health, emotional well-being and human thriving.
I incorporate positive psychology and leadership, applied ecopsychology and expressive arts therapy in my approach, as these not only provide health and performance benefits for leaders, but also supports sustainable development.
My professional experience includes private and public sector, as well as decentralized communities in emerging tech.
My specialties are executive and board level leadership consulting and partnering on strategic, responsive digital cultural design and adoption, including strategic leadership alignment, curriculum development, cascading of strategy and goals across the enterprise and ecosystem, as well as performance optimization and wellness cultivation:
- Positive Maverick Leadership Philosophy, Principles and Practices
- Strategies for cultivating regenerative cultures and transformational technologies
- Off-the-beaten track leadership skills to cultivate novel (difficult to replicate and automate) capabilities to inspire confidence in more hopeful social and cultural change
- Internal expert leadership development capacity building (train-the-trainer/facilitator). In partnership with clients, I design, prototype and develop strategic, innovative leadership, talent and cultural impact models that are easy to adopt, scale organically and contribute to more wellbeing for individuals, teams and organizations.
Growing up in a frontier family, I originally trained professionally as South African chartered accountant. I also hold a Masters degree in the Philosophy of Personal, Interpersonal and Professional Leadership Development (cum laude). My research article explored the practical application of contemplative practices for leadership development in which I proposed a taxonomy for practices, based on goals and outcomes required.
My professional credentials include 20+ years including senior leadership roles as well as lead consultant roles in large enterprise.
I worked for organizations such as HSBC, Barclays/Africa, Deloitte, PHSA, Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) BC Liquor Distribution Board, Provincial Health Services Authority and Ontario Centres of Excellence; decentralized and emerging tech community leadership and programming design for the BC Blockchain Forum which includes the design of a Decentralized Financial Wellbeing Hackathon with Blockstack in Vancouver.
What sets the idea of transformation apart from other forms of change is that it is “a change of” not just “a change in….” Trans-form means to move across forms, to change the very form of… The fundamental deep structure of the organism is changed, not just the surface appearance. —Elizabeth Lange (2012, 202)
We need to rewrite the technologies of human development if we want a future that is not just digital, but also regenerative.
I am passionate about contributing to the nurturing of a new ecological consciousness.
My personal mission is to inspire the design of Nature-connected transformational technologies.
- Blockchain Thought Leader & Speaker: CIO Association of Canada Annual Forum, Vancouver 2018
- Design and facilitation of the BC Blockchain Forum Roundtables and Events
- Production of global Blockchain Leadership podcast on Blockchain Radio – interviewing industry leaders sharing their experience in distributed/decentralized leadership
- Blockstack Vancouver Hackathon: Decentralized Financial Wellbeing
- Design agile and distributed organizational change management strategy and tactics for D365 ERP implementation: Canada wide retail cooperative, and lead the implementation of the first phase adoption tactics
- Research, design, and facilitation of new distributed leadership and talent management model for BC Crown Corporation, working directly with executive and senior leadership teams
- Research, re-engineering and prototyping of peak performance development program for more than 4000 employees across the province for BC Crown Corporation and Regulator
- Organizational change lead for IT Division restructuring to support new growth and digital transformation strategy for BC Crown Corporation
- Change lead accomplishing 100% adoption of new payment system and policies for BC Regulator
- Design and implementation of brain-based model of facilitation skills for HR and health professionals in provincial health authorities
- Founder member of Change Management Community of Practice across BC health authorities
- Design and implementation of new Personal Leadership Program for Young Professionals: Deloitte Canada
- Vancouver Lead Consultant for establishment of global consulting firms’ new leadership and team leadership coaching practice in Canada
Accepted and completed certification on the 2nd Cohort of the Transformative Tech Academy, 2019.
Ranked on Thomson Reuters Top 40 Social Influencers in Finance, Innovation and Risk, 2017.
Lead consultant and designer for the Deloitte Young Professional’s Personal Leadership Program, 2013 culminating in the Vancouver consulting practice winning the International Coach Federation Vancouver Prism Award that year.
During 2012 I was selected as finalist for Innovator Idol, Ontario Centres of Excellence – for a distributed leadership development – strategy performance SAAS solution build on Drupal opensource software, deployed in organization such as Barclays and the RIC Centre for accelerating innovation in Ontario.
My Top Three Character Strengths
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence